Monday, August 25, 2008

A Journey into Rain Forest

Last Thursday my work took me to the jungle trails of Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve. The forest reserve was established in 1906 as Bucket Weld Forest Reserve. So it has remained untouched for at least 102 years. If you have not been on a jungle trail before then this one you should not miss. My task was to find out if the constituents of the forest including it's man-made facilities fits the criteria of an outdoor activity which I am proposing to a client.


I started my journey into the forest from Menara Kuala Lumpur (KL Tower) which is located on top of Bukit Nanas (bukit means hill in malay). So from where I started, most of the trails were downhill trails. To get to the bottom of the hill at the point where the Malaysian Timber Board craft center is located (near the junction between Jalan Ampang and Jalan Sultan Ismail) I had two options. Follow a jogging trail all the way down (about 600m) or follow the jogging trail half way down and then take the natural forest train (either the Jelutong Trail or Merbau Trail) to the foot of the hill. I took the second option through Jelutong Trail.

Pokok Limau (Citrus Tree)


So did I find anything interesting? Well, I found this lime tree (pokok limau) which looks exactly like the lemon tree at the back of my mom's house except that it is huge, at least 30 meters tall. I never knew a lemon tree can grow so big! The other is a tree which has fruits on its bark (above). I have seen it before in pictures but not in real life.


If you have not been on a jungle trail before, as I said earlier, then this one you should not miss. This rain forest reserve is probably the most accessible to you especially if you are staying in Kuala Lumpur. Although it is not very dense, there are a plenty of flora and fauna for you to see, touch and appreciate. There are walking and jogging trails, activities field, lookout platform, huts as well as toilets. I was also informed that there are guided tours at 11am, 12.30pm, 2.30pm and 4.30pm subject to weather conditions.


The best way to get to the forest is through KL Tower (Menara Kuala Lumpur). There are plenty of car parks there and if you are a tourist staying somewhere near KLCC or Bukit Bintang then you are within walking distance to the forest. From KL Tower you can enter the forest through two different gates. There are maps available at KL Tower for you to use as guide. From thereon, will be walking all the way downhill.

Enjoy you journey into the rain forest...

1 comment:

Adillah A Nordin said...

Wow. Looks really interesting.
Should take the kids there one day :-)